The energy sector is one of the most important foundations of economic development, as energy issues are on most world leaders’ agenda. The Gulf Cooperation Council (GCC) has made great strides in the development of its energy sector, which has enabled it to become an influential player in the international arena. Furthermore, the GCC’s international role has strengthened considerably after the increasing global trends in energy demand, especially from East Asia. This role is most visible through regional and international crises relating to the supply of energy and it maintains the stability of the international markets. These developments combined were reflected on the position of the GCC countries in international forums and the increasing challenges faced by the GCC in order to maintain these gains in light of regional and international developments.
Based on the above, the Energy Studies Program researches fossil fuel and alternative energy affairs relating to Bahrain and the GCC countries, especially those pertaining to political and economic issues, and their implications for national, regional, and global security. The relationship between Bahrain and the global energy sector is central, as are issues relating to the economic and financial sectors, and the move toward developing fossil fuel resources and investing in sustainable solutions relating to alternative energy for the GCC countries. Beyond this, the Program also investigates the effects of the latest energy developments on the interests of Bahrain and the GCC countries.
Due to the Kingdom of Bahrain’s geographical idiosyncrasies, there is a relative dearth of substantive research focusing on its fossil fuel and alternative energy affairs. Consequently, the Program aims to fill this gap, producing work that is tailored to the needs of Bahraini and GCC policymakers.
The Program will achieve these goals by producing innovative, peer-reviewed research in the areas of fossil fuel and alternative energy affairs, in addition to meticulous and informative reports. Beyond these goals, the Program will hold seminars and workshops with local, regional, and international participants known for their substantive contributions to the Program’s area of focus.
VisionDelivering unique knowledge and analyses within the Program’s scope with the aim of assisting Bahraini and Gulf policymakers in making the best decisions relating to energy field.
- Producing substantive research on Bahraini and Gulf energy affairs
- Producing research within the area of Bahraini and Gulf energy affairs according to the interests of Bahraini and Gulf policymakers
- Creating a platform for exchanging viewpoints concerning Bahraini and Gulf energy affairs
- Developing the scientific research skills of young Bahrainis
- Producing research on Bahraini and Gulf fossil fuel and alternative energy affairs for publication in international, peer-reviewed journals or according to the requirements of Bahraini and GCC policymakers
- Producing regular reports on Bahraini and Gulf fossil fuel and alternative energy affairs that fulfill the needs of Bahraini and Gulf policymakers
- Holding seminars and workshops for individuals relating to the Program’s areas of focus, and for researchers and those interested in energy studies
- Partnering with Bahrain youth in a variety of the Program’s activities with the goal of developing their skills and producing a Bahraini taskforce specializing in energy studies
- Cooperating with serious Bahraini and Gulf organizations to expand the Program’s capabilities in its area of specialization
- Developing the Program’s junior researchers by involving them in the process of producing research