The Bahrain Center for Strategic, International and Energy Studies (Derasat) is a specialized and independent research center that conducts and publishes strategic research that serves the Kingdom of Bahrain at the regional and international levels. Derasat seeks to monitor, study, analyze and follow up on strategic developments at the regional and international levels. It aims to draw out short and long term indicators that impact Bahrain’s core interests in the broadest sense: its political, economic, social, and security interests. Derasat seeks to be a leading think tank to serve key strategic decision makers in Bahrain.
The ICT sector has grown rapidly over recent years. Online services such as government, business, educational and others have also flourished. Evidently, the sector played a prominent role in the political, economic, and social events and transformations that took hold of various countries worldwide over the past two decades. Despite the various efforts exerted by the Kingdom of Bahrain to develop its infrastructure to grow the ICT sector in line with its development plans and to fulfill Bahrain Economic Vision 2030, such efforts were essentially designed to serve the economic and service-based sectors. Hence the present proposal to conduct specialized studies of other sectors impacting cyberspace—studies which are directly linked to the needs and trends of society, its organizations, and its individuals.
In light of the above, Derasat launched the Cyberspace Program to study certain specialized topics in cyberspace. The program primarily aims to provide advanced information that helps policymakers acquire sufficient knowledge to support their strategic decision-making. The program also aims to focus on key topics relating to cyberspace technology, such as virtual networks, information security, cyber terrorism, and others.
Further, it seeks to study the impact of ICT tools on civil society and its constituents, such as social media channels (Twitter, Facebook, etc.).
VisionThe Cyberspace program seeks to be one of the leading programs relating to cyberspace, by disseminating knowledge and conducting studies that contribute to the development of Bahraini society in particular and the region in general.
MissionThe Cyberspace Program aims to:
- Conduct specialized studies pertaining to cyberspace with the goal of disseminating knowledge and awareness in society and realizing substantive results at the national, regional and international levels.
- Cooperate with national, regional and international organizations to conduct studies and participate in the implementation of projects that fall within the program’s scope and goals.
- Contribute to offering strategic solutions to support decision-making through adopting innovative ideas and implementing the best international practices.
- Engage in global knowledge networks, to publish research results and promote the Kingdom of Bahrain’s position regionally and internationally.
Objectives:The program aims to conduct studies and research relating to cyberspace, particularly:
- Working on developing local, regional and international cyber community.
- Contributing to bridging the technical, academic and economic gaps in the ICT sector locally and regionally.
- Enabling the local environment for cyberspace and furnishing it with first-rate projects and competent nationals in cooperation with public and private organizations.
- Partnering with the local and regional private sector to develop cyberspace constituents.
Program TasksThe program aims to achieve its objectives through the following tasks:
- Identifying relevant areas and topics to be studied as part of developments at the national and regional levels.
- Conducting studies and preparing reports and publishing them internationally.
- Organize international conferences, seminars and forums to discuss the most important issues relating to the program.
- Participating in global knowledge networks and seeking to convey the local view in strategic issues.
- Publishing journalistic articles across various traditional and digital media channels.